1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coturnix quail can't stand

Discussion in 'Quail' started by roosterrugburn, Jun 7, 2016.

1. roosterrugburn

roosterrugburn New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    This one just hatched a few hours ago and can't walk yet. It sits on its rump with its feet spread out in front. It does move about the brooder box but I'm not sure that it's eating or drinking.
    Every now and then it summons the will power to tuck its feet like it should but it doesn't last long.

I'm already feeding it an egg yolk mix every hour to keep its strength up. Is there anything I can do? Will it correct itself?

Here's a pic:[​IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    All I could think of would be splay leg, which is correctable over the course of 24-72 hours, but I dont know if quail can get it or if its the same treatment as it is in chickens...

3. Rashid100

Rashid100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Could be splay leg. I had a button quail who got it once. I used a band-aid to bring his legs into position and left it that way for about a week. He was fine then. Make sure food and water is accessible to him at this time.

4. Rashid100

Rashid100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by