Coturnix Quail chick update pictures :)

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Hi all,
my coturnix quails are getting a lot bigger thought I'd share some pics of them:)

these guys are my two interesting colored ones, they look like Rosettas but im not sure...the one on the left has white patches coming in on it's breast so i am wondering if it's a rosetta/tuxedo mix? hmm.
IMG_2120.jpg

All of my normal Pharoah Coturnix AND Jumbo Coturnix chicks together after I put new leg bands on them:
IMG_2088.jpg

^^ The arrow is pointing to one of the rosetta looking mixes

My Golden Coturnix Jumbo chick peeping:
IMG_2099.jpg

Golden beside a normal colored Jumbo Coturnix:
IMG_2101.jpg

My two rosetta looking chicks in the back and a normal coturnix in the front:

IMG_2139.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
hey well most of those are almost 2 weeks old, but the golden and all the "jumbos" i mention are just like 6 days old.
Yep hatched them myself in the LG incubator
smile.png

Quote:
yeppers i am, read about em on a post on here at one time. I put zipties on them at day one of hatching, and logged each chicks numbers in with any IDing marks on any that I could find that would ID them later on...

they are about 2 weeks old now and were starting to out grow the size of the ziptie so i took my dog/cat toe nail clippers and clipped them off sideways (it was really easy..ofcourse they protested lol)...and I put their new zipties on with new numbers--its pretty cool the white/clear zipties i got from walmart are individually numbered which is AWESOME. Makes it so easy..I thought i was going to have to write in a number on the zipties which would have been a challenge...
smile.png
My other colored ones dont have numbers on them though from teh same container i got the clear oens from weird but oh well lol.

I'm hoping this second ziptieing is big enough for more growth if not, i'll take them off and put new ones on again, after seeing how easy it was to do (because i was appreihensive at first putting zipties on them since you cant take off slack) I'll keep using zipties, just so I check on them as they grow I havent had any problems
smile.png

Thats a good idea! I have about 5 different aged hatches/orderees (Various Chickens) that I am going to get mixed up pretty soon if I dont mark them.
I didnt know they made one small enough for a Bumble Bee! I will have to look for those numbered ones too!
THANKS!

Quote:
lol yeah they look a lil weird on them at a day old, but by 3 days old they've "grown into the look of them" LOL. These zipties are abouuut... 4" long, what i do is hold the chick in one hand..oh heck here..lol I had a "vollunteer" show ya how i do it:

IMG_2165.jpg

I get the chick in one hand, with my thumb and pointer finger I hold lightly onto the leg i want to put the ziptie on....before I even grabbed the chick I had the ziptie already locked in a big loop...then I just slip the loop over the chicks foot with my other hand, and with help from the fingers on the hand holding the leg, and my other hand I zip the ziptie together, so that it's a loose ring around the chicks leg, but can't pass the meaty part of the foot.
smile.png
I then take my cat/dog clippers and snip off the excess as close to the "box" part of the ziptie as i can
smile.png
Then I log in the chicks number
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom