Coturnix Quail Chicks Hatching today!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TheMartianChick, Jul 13, 2011.

1. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, everybody!

I haven't posted here in a long time. My original flocks came from 2 posters here at BYC (Pop57 and Linebacker) but I haven't hatched any quail or chickens in about 2 or 3 years. Today is the day! I have 7 eggs in the incubator and at least 4 seem to be about to hatch. I've got pips! I hadn't planned on hatching anymore for awhile, but my original birds are becoming elderly and I didn't want to take any chances on not being able to hatch replacements due to fertility issues... The eggs in the incubator are from a cage of 3 birds: a chocolate male, a Texas A&M hen and a brown coturnix hen of some sort. I'm hoping for some interesting combinations like maybe a tuxedo! So, is anybody else hatching today?

2. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have hatched over 50 so far of my own today and im putting 72 of Whiteconfections eggs in the bator tonight.

3. TheMartianChick

Oooh, that would make you a hatchaholic! I'm watching the first one hatch and planning to set some of the Texas A&M eggs... I had forgotten how much fun this was!! Hubby would probbaly divorce me if I tried to hatch more than 15 right now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  4. TheMartianChick

So far , we have 5 chicks! Not a bad ratio for setting eggs from old birds...I announced my intention to set 4 more Texas A&M's in the incubator... Hubby rolled his eyes at me!

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    5/7 not bad! ~80% would love that.

we are due to hatch some browns next couple days.

where in central NY? most of my paternal relatives have spent time in Utica, Syracuse and Rochester penitentiaries, bars and racetracks.

6. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    OH set another dozen or so, you know you want too!!! Good husbands are so thick ya cant throw yer hat down without hit'n one.... [​IMG] Bill

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My originals came from pop57 too, he had some huge jumbos! Unfortunately over the years I've lost all of them as far as I know [​IMG]

8. TheMartianChick

Quote:I'm in the Syracuse area, though I travel to the other cities semi-regularly. I try not to frequent the jails, bars or racetracks, though! [​IMG]

9. TheMartianChick

Quote:My brown may be a jumbo... She was always way bigger than my other birds. My brown birds are my favorites and they seem to know it, too!

10. TheMartianChick

Quote:The babies are in a mini-brooder on my dresser until tomorrow. Hubby just went to bed and I heard him mutter that they sound like mice caught in a trap! He questioned me pretty good about the reasons for setting these eggs in the first place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by