Coturnix Quail Day 18

ambalina33

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2021
Hello! This is my first time incubating any eggs. I had them mailed to me which I know can affect hatch rates.
This is day 18, lockdown started day 15. 3 hatched out on day 16 but i had two eggs pipped so i was trying to wait for them to hatch. it had been almost 10 hours of the 3 chicks in the incubator and they were running around turning eggs over and causing chaos so i risked it and took them out very quickly.
Then we tried to help one because it had been over 24 hours of it being pipped - it had not been developed fully so we culled it.
There is still one pipped in there but we have lifted the lid twice now so i am concerned for it. The water level has dropped so i think i need to open the lid to add more water...
Is there any hope for any others to hatch? Should i candle them?
i am also concerned that the chicks that were running around turning over the eggs confused the chicks inside and they will now have issues hatching - is this a true issue? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20210927_113059232.jpg
    IMG_20210927_113059232.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 20
If it's day 18 you can wait few more days. Not everyone hatches at day 18 or earlier. Especially if the temperatures were a bit low, they can hatch a day or two later, too.
Chicks running in the incubator and turing eggs are not so much an issue, neither is opening the lid few seconds for taking out the chicks (if you have a good incubator that doesn't have issues with building up humidity), but it's better if you don't open the lid when a chick is zipping.

If it's day 18 you can wait few more days. Not everyone hatches at day 18 or earlier. Especially if the temperatures were a bit low, they can hatch a day or two later, too.
Chicks running in the incubator and turing eggs are not so much an issue, neither is opening the lid few seconds for taking out the chicks (if you have a good incubator that doesn't have issues with building up humidity), but it's better if you don't open the lid when a chick is zipping.
thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom