Coturnix Quail Eye

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RhodeIslandReds, Jul 6, 2010.

1. RhodeIslandReds

RhodeIslandReds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    I have a 12 week old coturnix its a male and his eyes are completely shut closed. This is the first time i see this and hes the only 1 with this problem. The eye is shut closed by skin and he is still eating and deinking. What should i do to him?

Thanks,
    RIrs

2. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    I would separate him from the others and let him heal. I had this happen to a couple of my Coturnix roosters. Come to find out, I had more roosters than I thought. Too many roosters, not enough hens, in the same pen caused too much competition....therefore a lot of fighting. Because of that, my boyfriend is building me 3 more brooders. 2 of them will have dividers in them. That way 1 pen can house 1 rooster and 4 hens on each side. The other 2 cages will be used for housing young in one, and just hens in the other. But at the rate I keep adding eggs to the incubator, he is gonna have to build a few more than I let on, lol.....[​IMG]

3. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Seperate him asap and let it heal. They heal incredibily fast.

4. RhodeIslandReds

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    OK thanks do I need to give the roo any medicine or anything to help?

Thanks for the help

5. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    If it's just an injury you don't have to certainly be careful what you put on the eye. It's sounds inhumane but most of what's available is just as bad by time you hold them down and stress the bird more.

6. RhodeIslandReds

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    ok thanks all.

Thanks,
    RIrs

7. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    When this happens at my place, I don't take any chances.. Anything that looks sick, injured, or other gets culled asap! and I keep an eye on the pen for others to show any signs or symptoms. If they do, I quarantine the whole pen and cull every bird that shows any signs of sickness...

8. RhodeIslandReds

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    Ok this is noobie but culled= killed right

9. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    Quote:Yes, I kill any sick bird on my place.

The reason for this is an injury can lower their immune system... making them a risk to the whole group, pen, or yard of birds. All it takes is one sick bird to wipe out your entire flock.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:Yes, I kill any sick bird on my place.

The reason for this is an injury can lower their immune system... making them a risk to the whole group, pen, or yard of birds. All it takes is one sick bird to wipe out your entire flock.

I HAVENT SEEN THIS RESULT FROM AN INJURY, BUT I HAVE SEEN ILLNESS MISTAKEN FOR INJURY--- IN THIS CASE : https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250361 PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE SWELLING IN THE PICS--- ITS CENTERED AROUND THE BIRD'S SINUSES IN THE FRONT CORNER OF THE EYES AND THE CHEEK UNDER THE EYES--- THIS WAS INFECTIOUS CORYZA BUT MANY THOUGHT INITIALLY IT WAS PECK INJURY. IN THIS CASE YOU CANT CULL FAST ENOUGH OR GET IT FAR ENOUGH AWAY FROM YOUR COVEY.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by