Coturnix quail get lice or mites?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Goosifer, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Goosifer

Goosifer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2012
    I just found out that my chickens had lice and mites and the quail are in the same coop. Do they have it too?

2. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Yes, quail can get mites. Not sure about lice, though.
    I only know of one form, and it's the one that hangs around a quail's vent and lays its eggs there, and probably hides under the wings and any other places unseen also.
    So, if you want to be sure, do a physical check of all the quail. If the chicken's have it, then it's likely the quail would have it as well.

On another note, it's recommended not to keep chickens and quail together in the same area. There is a disease that chickens can carry which could kill the quail if contracted, but I'm not sure as to what the disease is, this is only from what I've learnt from BYC. Although some people still do keep chickens and quail together and have had no problems, but to be on the safer side...

3. marilyn1

marilyn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Could you give them DE to bath in to get rid of them? Not sure if it works for quail? Maybe someone else on here will know.

4. Goosifer

Aug 27, 2012
    They don't "run free" with the chickens. They are in a cage in the large coop. Only reason is because its winter and I don't want the quail to get too cold. That's for the tip though

5. Goosifer

Aug 27, 2012
    Ill try adding DE to their bath. Thanks

6. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    In Alaska. We dont have alot of the disease that is elsewhere. I have yet to here if any qual dieing from anything. Knock on wood.

7. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    Chickens and quails? hmm I have a pen of quail inside of mi chicken run 5 feet above ground Quails will be affected by chickens?

8. Goosifer

Aug 27, 2012
    We have been doing it for a long time, and know of people who have raised them together and never had a problem. But I'm sure there are possibilities of it happening. Just watch them carefully. We are building a new barn this year and will have the quail separated just to be sure they don't make each other sick :)

9. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    They are together since 5 months ago and still no diseases.

10. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    You don't want quail to have access to chicken poo. If they are above chickens its better to fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by