Coturnix quail harness

Sep 29, 2019
Can anybody tell me if coturnix quail can wear a harness? The avitar bird harness will fit but will a quail die from stress if I put it on them? I want them to have fun wherever they want, not limited to the coop but I don't want them to fly away and go missing.

I have my cages exactly like @ashlierami is saying. I have put a cage hat today as it is 16C, though they do not seem to be cold. This way they are free (as much as they can be) and happy. Don't need more space.
Yes I managed to get them in a harness but they just ran into the coop I decided they would rather be in there so I have been trying to train them to go back into the coop and go out into a little patch of dirt and back is as they pleased I finished training one but the others are working on it and they like it this way no harness for them!

Can anybody tell me if coturnix quail can wear a harness? The avitar bird harness will fit but will a quail die from stress if I put it on them? I want them to have fun wherever they want, not limited to the coop but I don't want them to fly away and go missing.
Quail will fly away. Placing this on then will induce stress and injury. They are meant to be enclosed if you wish to keep them. Wherever you out them needs to be closed in on all sides and on the top. They do not require much space and seem happy to be in a small quiet setting. If you want them to get grass or something I would suggest a cage and set it in the grass but if you do let them in a large coop or something not enclosed they will be gone. One of my A&M makes escaped one time. He flew to the neighbors and luckily I seen him walking around her yard. He had star gazers and knew me pretty well. He crouched down when I approached him and I was able to bring him home. This isn't always the case. I house my quail indoors and take them outside when the weather permits but they stay in a medium sized cage I have. If they gave hiding spots food water and a dust bath I'd say they will live a long happy life being in one enclosure. I had a male live to be almost 7 years and he lived inside.

I have my cages exactly like @ashlierami is saying. I have put a cage hat today as it is 16C, though they do not seem to be cold. This way they are free (as much as they can be) and happy. Don't need more space.

Attachments

• IMG_20191004_122010.jpg
    IMG_20191004_122010.jpg
    990.1 KB · Views: 31

Back
Top Bottom