Coturnix Quail: Male to Female ratio

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lowcountrypoultry, Nov 3, 2008.

1. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Everyone [​IMG]

I am about to seperate my quail and want to know, what is the ideal male to female ratio?

I was thinking 1:3?

This way i can clean out other males, and see how many more eggs I need to order [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

-Austin

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I believe they can be more like 1:5, but mine are a trio. Of course, these are the only ones I have, but you get the idea! 1:5 is what I have heard for colony breeding though.

3. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    Austin,

My A&M's are set up at a 4:1 ratio. Some of my hens were a little bare when I got them, but since I have gone to this ratio, none of them have gotten any barer (is that a word?). The younger hens put in with these groups show no feather stripping at all. I will go to a five to one ratio when I increase my breeding numbers and retest fertility then. I would keep a few spare males just in case if you decide to go to a higher ratio. If you have a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio and lose a male you could just place each hen in another established breeding pen. However if you have a 5:1, you would probably want a replacement male for that pen.

JMO
    Brad

4. justpete

justpete Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Southern NH
    I am at a 4:1 ratio with my coturnix

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We use 5:1

Steve in NC

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I'm doing 4:1 mostly....the most i'd do for one male is 5. Just to insure fertility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by