Coturnix Quail: Male to Female ratio

lowcountrypoultry

Songster
11 Years
Jan 30, 2008
Beaufort, South Carolina
Hi Everyone
smile.png

I am about to seperate my quail and want to know, what is the ideal male to female ratio?

I was thinking 1:3?

This way i can clean out other males, and see how many more eggs I need to order
smile.png

Thanks
smile.png

-Austin

Last edited:
I believe they can be more like 1:5, but mine are a trio. Of course, these are the only ones I have, but you get the idea! 1:5 is what I have heard for colony breeding though.

Austin,

My A&M's are set up at a 4:1 ratio. Some of my hens were a little bare when I got them, but since I have gone to this ratio, none of them have gotten any barer (is that a word?). The younger hens put in with these groups show no feather stripping at all. I will go to a five to one ratio when I increase my breeding numbers and retest fertility then. I would keep a few spare males just in case if you decide to go to a higher ratio. If you have a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio and lose a male you could just place each hen in another established breeding pen. However if you have a 5:1, you would probably want a replacement male for that pen.

JMO
Brad

Do any of you have more than one Male per pen? If so to keep everyone happy what ratio then? I am not worried about breeding so much just ended up with males and don't want fighting.

I don't raise Cots anymore but have large flocks of Bobwhites, Gambels and Blues which I have 26 to 30 birds in each enclosure. I run 4 males to 20-25 females.
These are large ground enclosures. Haven't had any problems with fighting or fertility.

Do any of you have more than one Male per pen? If so to keep everyone happy what ratio then? I am not worried about breeding so much just ended up with males and don't want fighting.

I did this really successfully, but it was because I originally got a flock that was six males and two females that had all been kept/raised together for a long time, so the males were sweeties and just overjoyed to have a girlfriend each.

They fought with any others I tried to introduce pretty badly though!

I currently have 4 males and 10 females so I have all the males divided for safety.....some were raised together but now that they have been separated worry about putting them back together. We started with 2 were told they were females......both males. So then bought more because we wanted the eggs. Each time we bought more got another Male hahaha....so needed more females ;) so I told my husband! We are building them enclosures like this so worried there isn't enough room for more than one male but I am new.

Attachments

• 20181112_155345.jpg
    20181112_155345.jpg
    883.1 KB · Views: 246

Back
Top Bottom