Coturnix quail - no eggs yet!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by oskizzle, Oct 3, 2011.

1. oskizzle

oskizzle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    I purchased 6 female quail approximately 4.5 weeks ago. The individual I bought them from said they were current egg layers, and I have no reason to doubt him. They have had plenty of food/water, are on a Purina Game Chow Growth and Plumage food. I recently put a cat litter box in their pen with dirt/sand, which they really enjoy.

I've read online that it can take 2-3 weeks for birds that have been moved to begin producing eggs again. I tried my first hand at vent sexing just now, and I'm pretty confident that 2 of the 6 are female - I want to let them calm down before I try to look at more of them.

What would be keeping them from producing eggs? Their enclosure has a 2'x2'x2' completely wooded box, with a 4" x 4" door for them to get through into a much larger, 5' x 2' x 2' wire pen. There are six birds, so it should be plenty of room.

Any thoughts?

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

that is plenty of space. My coturnix slow waay down o laying when they are moulting are yours moulting or getting ready to? it sounds like you're doing it right...they may just be taking a break..Coturnix are like that [​IMG] be patient with them ,they'll get around to it .

3. oskizzle

Jul 26, 2011
    Now that you mention it, there were a ton of feathers in their full enclosure area and in the open wire pen - feathers everywhere! I thought it might have been a result of not having the dirt/sand to take dirt baths to maintain their feathers - but perhaps it's the molting? How long does that take, how often do they do it?

4. oskizzle

Jul 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by