COTURNIX QUAIL - OUTSIDE 2 WKS OLD

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SportTees, Aug 22, 2008.

1. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I HAVE SOME COTURNIX QUAIL I HATCHED OUT THAT WILL BE 2 WKS OLD. I HAVE BEEN KEEPING THEM UNDER A LIGHT AT ABOUT 85-95 DEGREES AND THEY ARE DOING GOOD . MY QUESTION IS SINCE ITS 85-95 DEGREES OUTSIDE CAN I PUT THEM OUTSIDE EARLY (AT 2 WKS)?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I guess it's possible are they fully feathered? If not you'll still want to supply them with a heat source outside esp at night.

3. SportTees

They are pretty close to fully feathered-- I have them in the house and they are starting to smell even though I'm cleaning the brooder regularly. More will be hatching in a couple days so I need to do something. I had a good hatch rate for my first time ever incubating 20/30. I have 55 more in the incubator and if the hatch rate is the same that's allot of birds in my house!

4. SportTees

I put them outside at 3 wks-- Doing good so far

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    that's great to hear, i see what you mean, my coturnix are almost 3 weeks old and are driving me nuts. The smell is kept down well however I clean out the brooder once daily, but the part that annoys me is they are very flighty and even after clipping their wings they escape hte brooder and roam around my bedroom pooin everywhre, they are lucky my cats haven't noticed them yet...garh...my cocker usually barks and growls to let me know ones loose [​IMG]. Last night i was on the computer and felt somethign put pressure on the carpet beside myfoot, looked down had two quail ooking up at me....*shakes head* LOL

My quail coop outside is almost done...i cannot WAIT to chuck the buggers out LOL!

They're almost fully feathered too, still need more head feathers, and chest feathers tho. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by