Coturnix quail pen idea

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tikkajazz94, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, So I have this Idea with my coturnix quail pen Im gathering supplies for. is a like a shelf that holds these pens, And each pen can come off the shelf for transport, or moving/cleaning. than it come come back on. aka slide off. than there is a transporter bottom for it, due to the the floor for the quail going to be wire. I just need to know how much space should I give 5 of these quail. Their for breeding..... If you could help me with this small issue, I would me glad.

Also what do you think of this Idea?

2. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    I like the ease of cleaning idea and anything toward that

5 birds? I would go 2x3, some are gonna say 2x2 and that would work too.

build it modular to expand if needed.

3. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah I was going to say 2x2 just to make them easy to stack and move around. I think it's a great idea. Same basic setup we used at the petstore I used to work for the canaries and stuff so we could pop the cages out and wash them if need be. I think if you made them so that one side could come completely off with a couple screws like Moby said it would be handy. Then you could put a few together to make a grow-out pen if you needed it. And you could separate them off again to take birds to market or wherever.

4. Tikkajazz94

Thanks :D Okay so 2x3, what about height? My quail seem to have a bit of room to leap about? would 2 or 3 feet be good?

5. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

i would say 18 inches max. The more height they have, the more room they have to wind up and bash their heads in. I usually make a cage 18 inches tall just so I can get inside them okay, but 12 inches would even work.

6. Tikkajazz94

Thanks, this helps me indeed. Im going to do 2x3x1 1/2. I'll have these cages built in no time. Yah, thats My thought, take them to a market/sale, etc and I thought handly city...

I will keep this to update you with my adventure with my plan to build this. I hope you all can enjoy and give some advice,

7. Bigdtc

Bigdtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2011
    Will this be attached to a wall or freestanding??... indoor or outdoor?? I have an idea that might help you...

8. Tikkajazz94

Freestanding and Indoor. Um, its a bit to cold for my breeding stock. And my plans for theses little birds

9. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    yup. my condos are 26" x 26" x 12", almost 5 square feet. 2-3 birds are very comfortable in there.

10. Bigdtc

Bigdtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2011
    O.K... I doubt my idea would work then...
    I was thinking that you could use standards and brackets mounted to the wall. Then I thought that you could mount them to a vertical 2X4" mounted on a dolly for adjustable shelves that your cages would sit on. After looking at prices for them, it could be a pricey proposition..
    Here are the shelves I'm going on about...
    http://www.knapeandvogt.com/80_Series_Regular-Duty_Standards.html?page=details.504

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by