1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coturnix Quail Pictures and Color Identification

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Robo, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Here is a way to tell what kind of birds you have or for your entertainment. These are the most common colors, I listed almost all except for fawn and some extremely rare ones. Here it is...

Colors

Jumbo Brown-
    Female
    [​IMG]
    Male (In Back)
    [​IMG]
    Chick-
    [​IMG]

Tibetian/Rosetta

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick-
    [​IMG]

Manchurian

Male
    [​IMG]
    Female
    [​IMG]
    Chick-
    [​IMG]

Tuxedo

Adult-
    [​IMG]
    Chick-
    [​IMG]

English White/Texas A&M

Adult-
    [​IMG]
    Chick-
    [​IMG]

Eggs-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Compared to a large chicken egg
    [​IMG]

The ones I didn't include a sex for can't be feather sexed. Thanks for looking!![​IMG]

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Does the manchurin female have spots on the chest or not?Becouse I have a quail that hatched out and looks just like that.

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Yes, but it is very light in most cases. Some of my females have redish slits instead of spots.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It is not tibetian, it is tibetan. But to get really specific, that bird is a rosetta tibetan or british range.

And your tux is technically a rosetta tuxedo.

You also forgot dark tibetan (dark british range), red, red tuxedo, fawn/cinnamon (which you stated), and dark tibetan tuxedo. I'm sure there are probably others as well. All these colors can be seen on quailladyoffortmyers website at http://stellargamebirds.com/Japanese-Quail-Mutationsnewpage.html

ETA
    : The ones she lists as the 'dilute' are the fawn/cinnamons as we know them.
    Just for color reference, this picture has a dark tibetan (dark range) tuxedo next to a red coturnix. The difference between a dark and a rosetta is the lack of 'pencilling' or 'straw' markings on the feathers.
    [​IMG]

Dark:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rosetta:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there's this one, one that some believe is just another form of rosetta. I think they are distinctly different, we shall see [​IMG]
    I was told it was a different type of range, called a golden range. But I'm no expert. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    I'm no expert on coturnix colors either, but I do know this....People argue all the time about coturnix colors [​IMG]

Come spring; I'm going to whittle my stock down to: Whites,Browns, and Duke's Mixture.

6. Qwerty303

Qwerty303 New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    this was verry helpfull !!! thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by