coturnix quail questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ohiogoatgirl, Jan 27, 2011.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    ohio
    i'm in ohio. do i need a permit to keep coturnix quail?
    i'm really interested in getting some. been researching about them.
    for a house/pen how does this sound: a 5x5 ft building, 6 ft on right side and 4 ft on left side so roof is sloping, a hanging feeder and waterer inside, outside 3 ft around the building is chicken wire that's partly buried at the bottom and sloped up to the building and nailed to the building.
    i hope you can imagine what i'm trying to explain. i have a nice drawing that i made but i can't figure out how to post it on here to show you... hope it makes sense...

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Chicken wire is too big and if you raise them on the ground they have to be wormed. I would keep them in a small wire cage that also has a wire floor. Check the sticky at the top of the page for permit info.

3. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    My jumbo coturnix quail are in a 3'x3' pen.I have a roo and 3 hens in there.I dont use the hardware cloth.I have a soild floor.We had a mouse infestation and they got into their pen.The solid floor gets cleaned once a week and the old poop and pine shavings goes into the garden.

For waterer we have a soda bottle waterer and we have a 5oz. hanging metal hopper/feeder.They work wonders!!

My texas a&m white coturnix is acting broody [​IMG]

4. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    That is very rare and welcomed at my place any time of year. About the floor, shavings work but they have a high ammonia smell, so if you don't like to clean cages wire is your best bet. I just hate shoveling out bedding, I guess that's because it always gets wet.

5. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    ohio
    just found this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=444775
    and
    since i've found a bunch of local farms that i've emailed about jobs and outta 9 or so i'm praying at least one will need some help. so now i can go back to plotting, er, i mean planning [​IMG] for the farm.
    the person is selling them by 50 so i've changed my plans to: 5x10 ft building with sand box and jar feeder and waterer, pen 3ft surrounding building and 4ft high and squared to building (with fence/wire top and board supports).
    what sized fence/wire do i use for the pen if not chicken wire?
    other then worms what are possible problems with ground raising?

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I use 1/2 inch hardware cloth, 1/2x1 is fine for the sides. If on the ground the bedding gets wet, accumulated droppings makes for a higher risk of disease, and you have to do a lot of work.

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Shipping quail chicks is not a good idea because quail do not have the same reserves as other poultry.

8. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    1" chicken wire should be fine.

Laying down a garden liner or a layer of gravel beneath the bedding will help with the worms. Mine are ont he ground with a 2" deep layer of gravel and I haven't wormed yet.

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Raccoons will get them through chicken wire. They can easily rip it OR they can reach through it and kill one...

10. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:i lost my first Coturnix to a possum reaching into a cage covered in 1" chicken wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by