Coturnix Quail rear is swollen and bloody?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QuailMum, Jan 12, 2017.

1. QuailMum

QuailMum Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    Hi there, I have a coturnix quail who has been laying eggs just fine for the last couple of months, but when I went to check for her egg this morning, I noticed her rear was largely swollen and bleeding slightly. She doesn't seem in pain, but she acts irritated. Wondering if it's something along the lines of hemorrhoids, and if there's anything I can do for her? I've been clearing what little poop she can get out to avoid it crusting and making it painful.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have suffered a prolapsed vent where the internal red tissue comes out a bit. This can occur with egg binding or by itself. Other birds may be attracted to the red color and peck it so it bleeds. Using some honey or hemorrhoid cream to help reduce swelling and then push the red tissue back inside is how to treat it. Keep the red tissue moist with oil or honey so it doesn't dry out and die. Make sure that she is passing droppings as well. Feel for any egg blocking the vent.Here is some reading about prolapse:
    https://www.beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

3. QuailMum

QuailMum Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    Thanks, I've been treating it, cleaning it, and pushing it back in. The only thing I'm wondering about is that I think I can feel an egg inside. I can't tell if it just started forming, or if it's been idling there for the past two days. With as swollen as the tissue is, I'm not sure if I'd be able to push it out, or if I should?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Be sure and also post on the quail thread since I don't know how often egg binding can occur in quail. I wish I knew more about quail to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by