Coturnix Quail stopped laying eggs week 12?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bruiserdog99, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Bruiserdog99

Bruiserdog99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    Hello i went out one night to collect the eggs and i had one normal egg and two golden eggs. i have never gotten eggs like that and they were really cool. i ran out of feed and was occupied with finishing the flight pen with some pheasants and i ran out of quail feed they probably went 2 days without feed i haven't had time to run a get some more bags of feed so just fed them some old chickens feed till i could finish the bag will they start laying once i get there old feed? did the golden eggs have something to do with it? I dont think there eating eggs because i cant find any shells. Thanks

2. Quail Jailer

Quail Jailer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    You can't play with their digestion like that, you gotta get on good feed and stay there.

Get the feed normalized and wait is all you can do.

3. FossilPeak

FossilPeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Tuscola, TX
    I agree. We had a big rain (4.5" not at all typical for west texas...we NEEDED it!) and it plugged up all my feeders. I collected 9 eggs over the weekend which is usually 50 or 60. Quail are finicky and feed drives more than you'd think.

4. Bruiserdog99

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    Ok i will pick up a couple more bags and see.

5. Bruiserdog99

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    ok they are on there normal feed now with a new feeder and stuff its day 2 and no eggs. should i be worried or will they start laying again? my eggs in the incubator just hatched so i know there eggs are fertile

6. Quail Jailer

Quail Jailer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Its probably going to take a little longer than that, Keep them fat dumb and happy and they'll start back.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it took a week or two..

7. Bruiserdog99

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    ok thanks

8. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Going onto the lower protein feed is probably what stopped their egg laying. They need more protein than chickens to lay eggs. Keep enough extra feed on hand in case of emergencies so they don't go off their usual feed. It doesn't take much to stress a coturnix into not laying.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bruiserdog99

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    Ok thank you that stuff was actually a gamebird starter i got from the mill and that stuffs a 24% or something there on there usual stuff now and are getting plump and happy so well see if they start back up .they are laying good fertile eggs beacouse my eggs just hatched ended up with a 50% hatch rate this was my first time hatching quail and it went good. little disapointed i had one drown in the water dish there were marbles in there but its was a deeper spot then the others.

10. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Put enough marbles in that they have to push their beak down between them to get a drink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by