Coturnix quail vs. Bobwhite - Which makes a better pet?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Scooter&Suzie, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have wanted to get quail and now that it is getting warm out I would like to do it soon. I wanted to get button quail, bobwhite quail, or coturnix quail, but after hearing how skitish the buttons are, I kicked out that option. I have a TON of questions, so here they all are -

1. Which one tends to be friendlier?
    2. Can jumbo coturnix be pets or are they just for meat?
    3. How much bigger are jumbo coturnix than normal coturnix?
    4. What is an A&M coturnix? (How is it different)
    5. Are they noisy? (Either breed, both males and females)
    6. Which breed is louder?
    7. Will either breed fly away or should I clip their wings?
    8. Could both breeds live together?
    9. Which one do you like better? Why?

Sorry for all the questions, there are just some things I can't seem to find [​IMG]

Any other information will be most welcome!

Note: After reading through my questions I noticed it looked a bit like a test... You don't need to answer all my questions, just if you could tell me what you know, that would be great!

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Answers in bold

Hope this was helpful, good luck with your choice

3. Riceman026

Riceman026 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA
    I am totally at this stage right now with my choice too... I just got the 50 Bobwhite eggs i ordered to incubate and see which i like better, man this is exciting! Good luck with your decision, its a tough one but try things out and just watch them so they dont kill each other.

4. Riceman026

Riceman026 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA
  5. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Oh, and one more question: Can I use my petite silkie to hatch some of the eggs? I think I will go with the coturnix quail. If you think it is possable, how many eggs max do you think she could do? She is smaller than most silkies.

Thanks for all the answers!

6. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Cots jumbo brns are the friendliest I have .Treated them like The BW I have, bout same size cages too.BW come right up to me when I walk up and open the cage.But that's where it ends if you reach in there on the GO . When you do get ahold of one its like grabbing a WildCat ,If one jumps out he's history..The Cot, when you open door and you reach in you got to shove them out the way too feed.Reach in and pick one up and there just as calm.If one were to get out he'll fly a few feet ,all you got to do is walk over and pick him up. As far as under Silkie Most people say no.I really have to agree.To me Quail eggs are softer (shell cracks easier than chic egg)but the membrane is tougher I would think they would get broke too easy. I go with INC every time...cva34

7. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Oh... So are coturnix quail really not a "pet" type of animal? I heard that they were really friendly.... Was I misinformed?

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    They are certainly not like cats or dogs when it comes to "pets". But they are friendly for a quail species. They can feed from your hand and if raised from chicks with a lot of attention, will come a running when they see you with treats and MIGHT let you touch them a bit. But in no way are they a typical pet so to speak. Quail are an enjoyable species of bird to keep, but they are not really a hands on bird. You just enjoy them for the way the are.

9. DNAatWork

DNAatWork Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    Coalville, UT
    Coturnix quail - in my opinion. The expense is way lower, and the production of the bird is much higher.

10. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Oh, darn it. I was hoping they would be as friendly as my chickens. I'll have to make sure this is what I would like to do.

I've heard that "the wild color quail are skitish while the white are as friendly as kittens" - Does anyone notice a different of the personality of different colors?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by