1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coturnix Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Skip, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi!

I'm thinking about getting Coturnix Quail. I have a few questions.

What sort of lighting do they need for laying? How many hours a day? Do they need lighting at all?

Do they need heating? What's the coldest temperature they can take?

Do they fly?

How long do quail eggs take in the bator? How long in the brooder?

How much space do they need?

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
  3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
  4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for reccomending my link guys! [​IMG]

also, if you have ANY other questions just post em and we'll all be happy to help ya! [​IMG]

What sort of lighting do they need for laying?
    atleast 14 hours of light, natural or a light bulb per day, next month the birds will start being able to be exposed ot light outside enough that they'll start laying naturally [​IMG]

How many hours a day?14 [​IMG]

Do they need lighting at all? oh yes [​IMG] with spring coming up you wont need ot add to their lighting if they're outside but if they're inside 14 hours a day of light [​IMG] Birds should startpicking up for the spring next month, probably mid month [​IMG]

Do they need heating?
    Nope just kept out of drafts in a good shelter. I keep mine in a rabbit hutch for winter [​IMG]

What's the coldest temperature they can take? They've been in -12 F

Do they fly? OH yes VERY well, they are migrating birds, so they can fly as well as ANY wild bird which is a bad thing lol!

How long do quail eggs take in the bator? 16-18 days normally, give or take

How long in the brooder? atleast 4 weeks, depending on the time of the year. 3 1/2 weeks to 4 weeks in the WARM summer, 6 + weeks in the winter

How much space do they need? 1 sq per bird, however that's book reccomendations... I dont follow that myself. I do what works for me. 2x2x2 pens per 5 birds (one male and 4 hens) and i have no problems. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by