Coturnix quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Chickfever, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I have 10 that I bought last week. Now, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them, but I'm trying to hatch their eggs (they've just started laying). My questions are:

1. How much room do they need?

2. Do they need a heat lamp? If so, for how long?

3. Do they eat anything besides poultry starter? (Can they? This stuff gets expensive and with 10 babies with 25 more coming and 50 eggs enroute......)

4. How long do they usually lay?

5. Is it normal for one to have NO feathers and barely any skin on her head? (I was told it was, just thought I'd ask you guys.)

6. How can I tell the males from the females?

Thanks!

2. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Welcome to the world of cortunix...they need about 1 sq/ft per bird...some give less....some give more. They need a heat light when young but I dont have any heat lights on my breeders. I feed mine gamebird starter....you can also give scratch as treat when older. And always supply grit and oystershell. Not sure how long they actually lay but their life-span is only 3-4 years. Having no feathers is a sign of over breeding...sounds like a bad male/female ratio. Males have salmon coloration on breasts with no checkering....females have checkering.

Good Luck!

3. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    don't they breed and lay at 6 weeks of age?

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    This is what I have heard, that they begin laying at 6 and reach full size by 8. We have just set about 97 eggs. LOL. Couple of weeks we'll be up to our necks in the little buggers.

-Kim

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Mine started laying at 6 weeks, I have 2 male and 4 female together and I just hatched all 24 of their first eggs,,,, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WAS FERTILE!!!! I also discovered in this area I could sell them for $30 a pair,,, is that good or did I let them go too cheap and that is why they went so fast? My males are red, my females are black/greyish colors and have red/blonde, or brown eye shadow. Some of the babies are really interesting looking.

PS: When they lay on their sides with their legs stretched out stiff,,, they aren't dead unless you give them a heart attack when you grab their non-dead bodies,,,, hehehehhehe

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  6. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    30 bucks a pair is GREAT for cortunix....my birds didnt start laying until around 8-9 weeks old.
    Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Whew, thanks! The nice Japanese lady who makes me egg rolls for my birthday bought some and her friends wanted some too. I told them I didn't know which were male or female yet but they didn't care. I tried to tell them apart from the pics of the others and what they turned out to be.

8. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Yah that lady was probably thinking about eggs and or meat..The oriental market is BIG when it comes to quail.
    [​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    [​IMG] ugh didn't think of that. I like quail, but not my babies! And these just don't seem big enough to eat.

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    My hen is like that... totally bald and scarred, and her eyes look like her hair was pulled up in a ponytail too tight. [​IMG] But she's the sweetest thing. I now have 35 2-week old chicks, waiting for the moment I can separate out 4 males and 12 females to start my breeding flock. This one-egg-a-day is for the birds! LOL! The rest are spoken for.
    Hey Sam, I've read conflicting reports... how long can/should you hold coturnix eggs before setting them in the incubator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by