Coturnix Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by klilly20, Mar 19, 2015.

1. klilly20

klilly20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Kentucky, USA
    I had nine quail hatched in my incubator I have 4 that is real small and something wrong with some of them. Are they the ones that should have never hatched or Iam doing something wrong ?. They are fed high protein at least 35% is that too much? Manna pro game bird show bird which is 24% and mixing a little bit of Purina cat fish floating feed which is 32%. The larger quail is doing great they are growing fast.They all are a week old

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    The mix you describe is no where close to 35%. But I can think of no reason you would need it that high. Id say leave the fish food out of your mix. I doubt the feed has much to do with it thou. How chicks hatch is effected as much or more by the condition of the breeder stock, prior to laying the eggs, as any other factor. Humidity issues and low temps can make them hatch poorly but after just a few days, the smaller ones usually catch up to larger ones... There are sometimes chicks that "Fail to Thrive".... This is usually from poorly conditioned parent stock or chicks you help out of the shell..... You can see it as they start to feather. The healthy chicks will start to sprout wing feathers while the small weaker ones remain in fluff. They often dont live much over a week.... Sometimes they just die....... Good luck

3. klilly20

Sep 28, 2014
    Kentucky, USA
    Thank you I have seen so many videos others using the cat fish feed. I would mix about 2 table spoon of the fish food to one pound of the game feed

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I use 30% gamebird starter myself. But many use lower % protein gamebird starter and get by fine. If working the math in my head can be trusted. A 50/50 mix of the feeds you mentioned would result in 28% protein. Sometimes you can find "turkey starter" that is higher protein and formulated with birds in mind. would be a much better choice IMHO....

5. klilly20

Sep 28, 2014
    Kentucky, USA
    The only place around here that sell any game bird feed is Tractor supply. I bought the feed I mentioned earlier there. That was the highest protein feed they have. Your right about the amount of protein i mix up is around 28%. I have raised Turkeys and chickens this is my first time raising quail. I like it. I was surprised by how small and delicate they are

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by