coturnix quale sexing and observation

Discussion in 'Quail' started by samsr, Aug 11, 2013.

1. samsr

samsr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Fountain, Colorado
    I hatched out 9 coturnix quail this time last week. They are all alive and kicking.
    I am noticing that 4 of them are quite a bit larger in size than the other 5. Could the larger ones be males? Is there a way of sexing them at this age besides vent sexing. This is my first time raising quail and this is just one of my observations. Another is that I have one that is quite loud at night. It sounds kinda like it is calling to others. Almost like a cricket. Is this normal. What is little guy trying to say?

2. lewee

lewee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    check the breast feathers, look for a rust color starting on them, the 1's wthout that are usually females, rusty ended breast feathers are a male, and yes, they do "the cricket "thing, although im not sure which is doin that

3. quailresearcher

quailresearcher Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    Mine are 23 days old now and mine are just now getting their red chests. Plus it depends on breed of coturnix not all have a red chest. I know the brown and pharoh have a red chest. I have 7 Pharaoh and 3 turned out to be Roosevelt. I though was one but today two of my others appear to have red forming on their chest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by