Coturnix Standard?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mhwc56, Sep 18, 2010.

1. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

is there a Coturnix "standard" ? If not ,is there anyone out there who can offer me their thoughts on what they believe it should be?

2. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    No standard, the Coturnix were to late to get into the standard.

Check out the sticky at the top of this section. That will get you started.

All kinds of information in that.

3. mhwc56

kind of looking for 'specifics' like ideal weight , body type/shape, that sort of thing...just curious.... guess there aren't any huh?

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Actually there are for the weights at any rate. Though it like most things about the j Coturnix are in dispute depending on what you read written by who.

First are you talking about j. Coturnix or c. Cortunix?

Then its which variety of Coturnix are you thinking of.

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The Japanese Coturnix , Coturnix japonica, are the coturnix variety from which our domestic quail have been developed. They are sometimes considered to be a different species, but in fact is idential to the European Coturnix, also known as Coturnix coturnix.

All color varieties of the Japanese Coturnix are just colors rather than breeds of the Japanese Coturnix:

Pharaoh
    Jumbo Brown
    English White
    Texas A and M
    Manchurian Golden
    British Range (Rosetta, Golden Range)
    Dark Range (Tibetan)
    tuxedo (in many colors as well)
    Red Tuxedo
    Red Golden
    Fawn

There are no standards. People are confused with correct naming of these birds still. These birds are mainly used for aviaries, meat, and eggs. I believe there should be set standards, this and the Chinese Blue Breasted Quail (button quail).

Now the females are often larger than males, ideal weight...it varies among variety I suppose. The Jumbo Brown and Texas A and M are genetically altered (but what isn't though) for meat and egg production specifically so there are ideals for those. I breed for eggs and colors so if anyone wants to add in on the production part, feel free.

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Quote:Quaillady, do you mean actually altered as in scientifically messing with their genes? , or through intensive selective breeding?

7. mhwc56

Quote:Quaillady, do you mean actually altered as in scientifically messing with their genes? , or through intensive selective breeding?

yes, i was wondering about the phrasing of that too. You do mean selectively bred right?

8. mhwc56

i'm interested in the colors and eggs as well. i don't think i could eat what i'd raised from the egg....
    That's why i'm interested in a Standard. AND it seems that with so many people interested in the species there should be a standard and the rights to show like people do with chickens, ducks, and so on......

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Sorry I meant selective breeding [​IMG]

10. mhwc56

Quote:pretty much figured you did...lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by