Coturnix stopped laying??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jbarrett, Mar 23, 2013.

1. jbarrett

jbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Florida
    Hey I am newer toraising quail and I do keep a light on then so that they get extended daylight and I was just wondering why they have stopped, I was getting about 10 or so a day and now maybe 2 or 3 a day? The coturnix I have are brown and a&m, if that makes any difference but i just thought that was a color difference! Any way any ideas on why they have just about stopped? Also they are about 6 months old....Thanks Justin

2. kenazzo2000

kenazzo2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    malta [europe]
    Did the weather get colder?

3. jbarrett

jbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Florida
    a little im in florida, went from 80 to 40s

4. kenazzo2000

kenazzo2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    malta [europe]
    That's the problem then i think

5. goagain

goagain Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    I just started back raising birds this year after a very long time, but this winter my first batch was laying very well, and my son found a possum trying to get into them one night. They stopped for about a week after that. They are laying well now though.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Goagain makes a good point--stress will stop laying. So will a moult. Even with lights, birds need a rest when they're growing new feathers.

Definitely keep an eye out for what might be stressing them. It could indeed be the temp drop, if it happened suddenly--it will stress them out at first. Once they adjust, they'll go back to laying. But if you've got a predator after them every night, you'll need to do something about it so they can relax.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by