1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coturnix tempatures

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fatsu, Sep 16, 2011.

1. fatsu

fatsu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    I looked thru the sticky but didn't find the thread I needed. How cold is to cold for adult coturnix to be outside without a heat source? We're expecting low 40's this week and this is the first fall I've hat COTs. Should I give them a heat lamp? or a pad?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    they will usually be fine at that temp, they will bunch together for warmth, its up to you if you wanna put one out there for them, i just would use a red light, and not to hot or else they could die(extra heat + bunching up, middle one might not make it)

3. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    They don't need a heat lamp at that temp. The best way to keep them warm is water and food. Sometimes I use a heat lamp if it gets below about 30. I heat the water with a heater I made out of a cookie tin.

4. fatsu

fatsu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks good to know as this will be my first winter with them. I may just sell them before the real cold gets here as I don't seem to have any luck hatching these guys [​IMG] I'd be interested in hearing more about your heated waterer made from a cookie tin gamebirdboy. Do you just set it under a heat lamp or did you add a heating element of sorts to it? Everyone made it through the night fine and had the eggs waiting for me this morning. I Raise button quail and know that 40 outside will kill them just didn't know if coturnix were as sensitive to heat. Thanks again for both the replies

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    you also gotta remember that bobwhites and coturnix were once wild(bobwhites still are) so if they can live in the wild in these temps...they can live in a coop. I've heard best thing is to have at least 3 walls that connect so they can huddle up for warmth

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    It has gotten in the teens here and my cortunix have lived through it quite well. I guess it would depend on how many in the pen. I like to keep about 8 in each pen. I imagine if you only had a trio per pen it would be much harder for them to stay warm.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  7. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
  8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Plenty of food (maybe give some bird seed since most 'grain' produces heat) and wind blocks and they should be fine.

9. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My coturnix have done fine outside in the winter,it's been down in the single digits before .I haven't lost a bird to cold.They seem to be much more stressed by the heat than the cold as long as they are protected. I have all wire sides and bottoms on my cages so i just wrap the sides in heavy plastic and toss in a leaf or 2 of hay that they love to snuggle down in and nibble on too.
    Coturnix don't seem to do well with red lights. they seem to freak out and also act aggressive towards each other.Tried blue lights too and that was just as bad. I stick with "white" lights now and they do much better.
    Also , Do be careful about them always having plenty of fresh water. They will dehydrate in cold weather as well as hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by