1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coturnix vs. Button Quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jaymean, Dec 15, 2016.

1. jaymean

jaymean Just Hatched

Dec 15, 2016
    Hi everyone. I'm new to posting on BYC.

I had two coturnix quails before, but recently purchased two button quails (females). I live in a condo where noise is a concern.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me as a new button quail owner? My intent is to keep them as pets and the eggs are an extra bonus. How much do these guys differ from coturnix?

2. jaymean

jaymean Just Hatched

Dec 15, 2016
    I also noticed that some of the head feathers on one of the quail is missing/looks ruffled. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thank you!

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Male button quail are very vocal. Eggs are only about the size of large lima beans. Feathers will grow back, not to worry.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  4. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    I find that my buttons - males or females - are very quiet, as long as they are happy. I currently have 8 buttons in my living room but only hear a few, not too loud calls a day. Main issue is actually that one of my males tends to boink at night. His cage has soft mesh at the top so he's not getting hurt but my bedroom is on the other side of the wall his cage is placed against so I hear it every time. His girlfriend had chicks a few weeks ago and for the entire time they were raising the chicks, he didn't boink once. I removed the chicks when they were about 6 weeks old and back to boinking he went.. I have a night light in the living room and I think that's adding to the problem but once he's started boinking I can't bring myself to turn it off because I don't think he can find his way back to his girlfriend without it. I'll try to turn off all light at the same time tonight and see if it helps, but I'm not expecting too much..
    With regards to missing feathers, that can be caused either by boinking or by another bird pecking her. Make sure their cage is boink proof and that they are not pecking each other, then the feathers should grow back soon.
    Remember to feed them a good gamebird feed with at least 20 % protein and supply them with ground oyster shell or similar for extra calcium. Apart from being smaller and more skittish, they are quite similar to coturnix.

5. jaymean

jaymean Just Hatched

Dec 15, 2016
    Thanks for the great advice. It's reassuring to know that the button quails are on the quieter side. I was getting worried when I was reading about them, but the commentary regarding their noise levels were varied.

I think the button quail are still adjusting to their new environment. Both seem very skittish-- one hangs out in a hidey hole and the other likes the corner of the cage. I'll continue to monitor their activity and will try to make the cage more "boink proof."

I already have a good feed and have been giving them the oyster shells.

Thanks again for the advice!

6. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013

when I read this couldn't help but laugh. my mind had boinking in a whole different catagory than hitting his head on the ceiling. especially with the night light left on so he could find his way back to his girlfriend

7. jaymean

jaymean Just Hatched

Dec 15, 2016
    HAHA. Okay, I re-read and understand the boinking reference now. I actually laughed out loud.

8. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm glad I could make you laugh :p English is not my native language, I didn't get it myself before consulting urban dictionary ^^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by