Cougars, and Coyotes, and Bobcats, Oh My!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Campine Lover, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    8:00 last night: Large Mountain Lion spotted in local neighborhood (one block above my house, 15 minutes after I walked my dog by that exact spot and heard suspicious rustling noises, but decided not to investigate!)
    2:30 this afternoon: While riding my horse, a bobcat and her 3 older kits quite calmly walked right along side me until the trail split.
    6:30 last evening: a coyote passed infront of me while I was riding my bike.
    What am I, a predator magnet?!?! [​IMG]
    This is the norm, though. I'm always seeing those kind of critters around my house. Wish I got pics, lol.

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Wow. What state do you live in? You must be near some pretty big wild areas to have so much wildlife around you. Scary about the cougar!! [​IMG]

3. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    California. Near San Francisco, but my town is a small place with the ocean on one side, the Santa Cruz mountains on the other. [​IMG]

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Sounds like heaven, just, be CAREFUL!!

5. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I have noticed, least wise 'round here, that the rabbit population this year is plentiful- hence the rise in the fox, coyote, bobcat, and hawk population.

It's cool to be amongst such creatures, as long as they are not amongst your chickens!

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Why did I know it was CA before you said so?? I see those creatures all over the place here.

7. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    The Cougars are starting to show up in populated areas this time of year. When it gets hot and dry the Deer move into the populated areas and they Cougars follow them. July and August are usually Cougar months around here.
    If they can't find enough wild food they will eat you cat. One good thing about them they like to eat Raccoons too.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hopefully you won't encounter the cougar while riding your bike. Bikers and joggers are their occassional prey of choice. Be careful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by