Cougars/Mountain lions In WNC?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by muddstopper, May 4, 2009.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Has anybody been able to verify the presence of these large cats in WNC. My son called a while ago to tell me he just saw a mountain lion carrying off the neighbors ducks. He described a very large cat with a very long tail carrying a duck crossing the road.

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yes they are in the mountains there. I have seen them on the NC/TN border on the outskirts of the reservation.

They are not as populated and they are here in oregon but there are some good sized cats in WNC.

3. ems_chick

ems_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Morganton, GA
    im just south of you and have seen them going across the road late at night... they are definately here.

4. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    That's both encouraging and a bit unnerving. It's a big predator to contend with when you have pets/livestock.

Encouraging because it's nice to hear that we haven't wrecked all their habitat with our march toward "progress." I like knowing that wild things can still thrive in parts of this country.

5. muddstopper

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    My wife claims to have seen one ran over on the road several years back. I have walked just about every mountain top in Cherokee Countyand have never seen a bit of sign of a large cat. I am going to try and get my son to go back and look for tracks where it crossed the road. Its been rainy so tracks should be easy to find.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hi, I'm about 8/10 of a mile from the NC border, shop in Murphy all the time. First, howdy, neighbor! Second, oh my gosh. I've always believed that they are here. Naturally, they are here "unofficially". You know how officials are about things being unofficial, LOL. Nope, no ma'am, you must have seen a German Shepherd. [​IMG]

7. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    *shudder* All big animals like that scare the crap outta me! I know my dad said when he was younger he saw a panther several times. The parks and surrounding mtns. offer plenty of spots for mountain lions.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

The eastern cougar is indeed in your area and has spread into Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. We have them near the river about a mile from our house. No problems so far, and there are several farms between us and them and it's *ahem* calving season.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/wildlife/conserva/16-02-5.htm

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  9. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Quote:My grandparents have a home in Deep Gap (Watauga County) and had a problem with them last year.

10. muddstopper

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    I have already had a few locals tell me I am crazy. The NC wildlife will tell you that their are no big cats in WNC. A few web searches claim some in the Smokey Mountian Park area, well duh, it aint far to the park if you go as the crow flies. Whether we have cougars remains a myth only until someone can bag and tag one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by