cough/cold. gota help me out here

johnnyjack

Songster
12 Years
Oct 21, 2007
usa
ok iv asked alot of different things on here about colds and cough with nasal drainage. i have lost 2 hens now to this stuff. working on my 3rd bird now.treated for bronchitis, didnt help. tried teramycin , and they just came off a round of pen clor. trying gallimycin now.coop is dry / deep pine shavings. its like 3 weeks in between break outs. always one at a time.its not cold here in the 40,s or 50,s at night. what would you do? have you ever had anything like this and if so what did ya do. i need ur input . i know somebody on this board has been through this.iv talked to dr peter brown. but its hard for him to tell me what to do without seeing the bird. ............ thanks in advance... johnny

I can't remember what it's called right off, but there is a viral cold that affects their breathing, and giving them antibiotics is just for secondary infections. I've had the same thing go through my flock. There's not much you can do for it other than let it run it's course. I've lost a few to it also.

nope all banded and check by vet befor i bought them at a sale.iv had this flock over a year now.

I haven't had that problem, so I can't tell you what they have, but you might try some apple cider vineger in their water to boost their immune system.

What did Dr. Brown say??

Did he mention anything about Laryngotracheitis? It is a herpies virus...look it up and see what you think. I am not a Dr. I am just asking you to look it up and see if the signs are the same. The poultrysite has good info on it about different diseases. If it is the same kind of thing, you may want to ask Dr. Brown about it.

did that RR..........pn he told me to try the gallimycin so im doing that now. from looking at the stuff the have puffy face nasal discharge cough rattle. its more like coryza i think thats the right way to spell it.

Last edited:
Both are similar aren't they? I was reading about the Coryza and it sounds like they should all have it with in 10 days. The laryngotracheitis is slow spreading. What ever it is I hope you can get the answer you looking for. If another passes, I would send it to the state to have it checked out to see what it is.

Blessings!

Back
Top Bottom