1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Cough / sneeze - is the chicken sick? What should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kluk-Kluk, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Kluk-Kluk

Kluk-Kluk Chirping

Apr 11, 2014
    upstate New York
    One of my reds has been occasionally coughing/sneezing (can't tell what that sound is). It's been going on one week. Other than that, she acts fine. I haven't removed her from the flock (two other red sex links, two Light Brahmas, and two Japanese bantams); don't really have a good place to put her, and by now the other six would have been exposed. And none are showing any symptoms. Could it be allergies? A cold? Her "nose" occasionally runs. She eats, drinks, runs, lays eggs like normal, though. When my daughter (a vet tech student) listened to her breathing through a stethoscope, it seemed clear.

What could it be, and what should I do? I'm brooding six more chicks in the garage and don't dare expose them to whatever... Has anyone had a similar experience?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be infectious bronchitis which is a virus that has to run it's course for a month or so. Make sure that your coop has good ventilation, no moisture, dust, or mold which can also cause sneezing. Here is a good link on diseases, and I.B. is there: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: