Cough/wheeze/blood then death..... help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JNorth, Mar 14, 2013.

1. JNorth

JNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    We brought home 12 Cornish Rock hens Monday afternoon, not sure how old they were but they had just started feathering on the tips of their wings. This afternoon we found one dead with blood around its beak. Just a moment ago I kept hearing what sounded like a chicken coughing/sneezing. I did a little investigating and found one panting and sounding congested. When I picked it up I could feel it wheezing. It was still fairly energetic, fighting me a bit when I was holding it. When I set it down it walked around and did the wing/leg stretch and settled down into the bedding. Then I heard the coughing noise coming from at least 1 but maybe 2 other chicks.

Their bedding is changed daily (and when we found the dead chick). I've been giving Save-a-Chick since we brought them home and I feed smaller portions throughout the day, removing food at night. We kept thinking that they were choking themselves on their food, now I'm wondering if that noise was them coughing all along... it just happened to coincide with feeding time.

Is this something that they came with or contracted from us?? Will I lose them all?

How do I keep whatever this is from spreading to my girls that are outside?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. JNorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    I was wrong... there are 4 that sound congested and are sneezing now.

3. clairebear

clairebear Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    New York
    It sounds like they have a respiratory infection. Do you have other chickens?

I would cull. If you give them antibiotics and they recover, they'll still carry the disease. I'm sorry your chicks are sick!

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    you can try with a respitory antobitic like tylan 50 or something similiar.id start the antibotic asap! if they are not drinking or eating as they should go with the injectable antibotic, if they are drinking try water soluable antibiotic. get it into there system fast! I'm sure its nothing you have done, sometimes illnesses can be airborne not sure if you can know where it came from. keep them quarentined and antibiotic asap. best wishes!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

6. JNorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    That is what I was afraid of.

This morning they seem to be doing okay. No major changes in behavior or symptoms. I'm keeping a very close eye on them. They are completely separate from our other hens (our adult RSL's are outside). We never intended to mix these birds in... they were to be housed in a separate coop.

If none of the other birds fall ill or die will they still be safe to consume? If the birds that seem ill now improve and recover are they still considered safe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by