1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coughing bird!! HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by homesteadingcowgirl, Jan 26, 2009.

1. homesteadingcowgirl

homesteadingcowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Not quite a chicken, but my tom turkey has been coughing for about two days now. Any ideas or suggestions? What is this all about.

2. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Hope he is doing better soon.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  3. homesteadingcowgirl

Jan 19, 2009
    thanks, any ideas why or if I should worryabout this.

4. MarlaKaye

Jan 14, 2009
    Well, I don't know if this can help, but when you asked again, I remembered when the hatchery shipped us juvenile pullets. They were fine when they arrived, but a couple of days later started sneezing and coughing.
    I emailed hatchery and received the advice to spray a couple of spurts of "FOUR WAY NASAL SPRAY" BRAND NAME ONLY.
    It has something special in it that works for birds.
    It worked great. And chickens felt better right away, breathing better. I gave it to them according to directions... I think every six hours. Yes, I missed some doses, but it did work, and they were better in a couple of days.

I wonder about Vitamins, and fresh water, antibiotics, invriroment, other turkeys at risk?
    How old is your turkey? maybe you already said.
    Best wishes,
    MK

5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    is he having mucus?
    sneezing?
    swollen or draining eyes?

listen to his chest for wheezing.

Tylan 200 or Tylan 50 injectable is good for respiratory illness..available at most farm/feed stores...and syringes..smallest you can find..about 22 gauge needles.
    how much does he weigh?

keep him warm and out of drafts and wet..
    give poultry vitamins and some extra protein..such as cooked egg..

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  6. MarlaKaye

Jan 14, 2009
    Sammi,
    so glad to see you reply. What body part do you inject chickens or turkeys? Do you inject all fowl in the same manner? What about little chicks?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  7. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I have used Tylan50, 0.25 to 0.50 cc per bird. You inject right under the skin behind the neck. It isn't difficult. Probably the biggest challenge is getting that needle in just a wee bit and NOT letting it go in the skin and back out. [​IMG] I would advise having one person hold the bird & another do the shot.
    Good luck.

8. homesteadingcowgirl

Jan 19, 2009
    Thanks for the advice and thanks MK for following up. He seems to be doing better now, haven't heard anything but gobbles. The weather had suddenly turned really cold, but we had a heat lamp going and he had been through it before no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by