coughing chicken?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kdavis228, Jun 5, 2011.

1. kdavis228

kdavis228 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    mississippi
    I have an auracona that's about 5 weeks old that's coughing and has a little bit of stuff around one of her eyes. It was picked at by other chickens and has a sore on one of her wings but seems to b healing, what could all this mean, and what should I do?

2. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I have had chickens that have had what I'd call a wet sneeze and maybe a tiny bit of watery eye. Usually, it only occurs in the wet spring time. I am sure to open all windows and doors (if feasible) in the coop. Make sure the coop is clean. Ammonia can build up, especially in the wet spring time. It can cause respiratory issues. My first spring of having chickens I had this issue. Since then I am sure to open up the coop and I've never had any trouble since.

There are diseases that afflict chickens, too. If there is a smell to the discharge that is not good. If that's the case, it's called Coryza and it very contagious. I am hoping someone with more chicken disease knowledge can hop in here for you.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    double post

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Coughing sneezing wheezing not good-

I would suggest some antibiotic added to all your waterers. Separate the sick one but it might have already spread so treat everyone with antibiotic in the water and toss out the eggs or feed back to the chickens. Also might as well add apple cidar vinagar to the waters once the antibiotic treatment is done.

It is a tough road to isolating this little illness so be prepared to sterilize everything with a bleach spray too.

Went through that last summer. Everyone seemed to have dealt with it on the emergency illness post section.

Most made it through but oi - not fun - not good!
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by