coughing cornish

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bturbo87, May 15, 2010.

1. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    cornish hen, roughly 8 months about 3.5 to 4 pounds
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    "coughing", "wheezing" during crop massage, regurgitates small amount of H2O every third time she drink or so
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    2 days
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    no
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    not sure just picked her up friday night
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    yes, 16% layer feed, cracked corn, plain yogurt, scrambled egg, oyster shell
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    normal
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    was thinking sour crop, so just a slight massage( in downward motion) didnt smell any "off" or "rotten" smells however
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    preferably treat myself
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    no wound
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    on dirt/leaves, pine roosts, pine shavings in nesting box

noticed this just last night, was thinking sour or impacted crop, so gave her a good massage, while she was sitting in my lap after the massage she was "wheezing" on the exhale. havent refreshed my memory for sour crop on here yet so thats where im headed once this post goes up. any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
    brad

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Just to make sure This is a not a cornish x correct? If so it is probably due to her advanced age and she may be getting COPD...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by