Coughing, gasping hens.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henny525, Jan 29, 2013.

1. henny525

henny525 New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    I brought a new hen home, and within days, 6 of my hens have gotten cold symptoms - lethargic, coughing, gurgling, not eating. I put them in a separate pen with heat lamp, put Duramycin in the drinking water, and have misted them several times daily with VetRx. I've ordered Oxine, but it's not here yet. They've been sick for a week now. I don't want them to suffer, but I love my hens and don't want to give up if there's hope of recovery. How long does chicken "flu" last, and what else can I do? Thanks!!

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    That sounds like CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disorder).

If I were you, I'd keep using the Vet-RX to keep the sinus passages open. The best antibiotic is Tylan 50 injectible. Using a 25 gauge needle in a syringe, inject 1/2 cc just under the skin on the back of the neck. If they are large hens ( more than 5 lbs.), do another 1/2 cc in the breast muscle. Do this for 5 days.

If you can't get Tylan, use Chlortetracycline and Gallimycin. Take both and mix equal amounts in a jar. Recommended is 1 teaspoon per gallon for 14 days. Get the Tylan if you can. Most feed stores carry it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    "How long does the chicken 'flu' last? "
    Forever. Chickens dont get a cold or flu, they get a specific disease. Respiratory diseases can be treated with various medications, but they are never cured. Alot of respiratory disases are caused by virusus, antibiotics have no effect on virusus. Unless you cull your sick birds and disinfect everything, you'll be dealing with sick birds for the rest of their lives. Stress will bring out the worst symptoms. If you decide to treat them, you will have to maintain a closed flock; no new birds in, none out, no selling or giving away eggs for hatching purposes. Many diseases can be carried on clothing, shoes, hands etc...you'll have to practice strict biosecurity measures.
    The new hen you brought home shouldve been placed in quarantine for at least 6 weeks away from your flock and practiced biosecurity.

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Very true. The flock must be closed to any newcomers, treated or culled. The reality is that if all birds who exhibited symptoms of CRD were culled, there wouldn't be any. CRD ( Mycoplasma Gallisepticum ) is a stress disease which mean the symptoms appear when birds are stressed. It is more severe during Winter months. Throat rattles, nasal discharge, one swollen eye, loss of weight, squeaky crowing,are all symptoms of respiratory problems. The main antibiotics used to control the symptoms are Tylan for individual birds, and Gallimycin paired with Chlortetracycline for flock treatment. If anyone knows of another effective treatment, I'd be interested.

5. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Michael, I have been treating a pullet and a young rooster isolated for respiratory issues for a week now with Tetracycline/Duramycin, electrolytes, and ACV in the water,(and also the 7 other new pullets, that don't have symptoms, in a seprate pen). While the rooster seems recovered completely, the pullet still has a cough, but she is eating and drinking fine. I just got some VetRx and have been using that also for a couple of days, and I got some Tylan 50 injectable yesterday, and gave her 1/2cc-mixed with a little plain water in syringe w/o needle, orally last night. She acted like she was having trouble breathing when I first gave it to her, stretching out her neck and opening her mouth. She did this for about 3 or 4 times after taking the med. I did not give it to her too fast or anything like that, just a drop or 2 at a time with plenty of time to swallow. Then I read somewhere later that Tylan taken orally could damage the throat. Is that true, and is it okay to continue to give it to her this way. Someone on here said that they did this with their full grown hens for 3 nights and it completely cleared up their issues. I hope I can continue with it this way, cause I just can't give a shot! Can't take one either! Also, can I continue to give her the Tetracycline in the water with the electrolytes and ACV as usual while using the Tylan 50? Also I have been mixing the Tetracycline at 2 tsp per gal. water. Is that enough? The bag said 400-800mg for chickens, I figured that 2 tsp was 400mg, but I don't know anything about mgs. Maybe it should be stronger. I hope you can answer. Thanks [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Denagard; for mycoplasma diseases in poultry. I completely agree with you, culling is best.

7. henny525

henny525 New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Has anyone tried Oxine to fog the birds and coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by