coughing hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elohist1983, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Elohist1983

Elohist1983 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    Ihave a black copper maran pullet that I bought a little over a week ago, when I got it home I noticed she has a cough. I have been treating her with tylan for 6-7 days and no improvement. She is coughing occasionally and when stressed she has gurgling breathing. She sounds like we do if we have upper respiratory infection. I can't cull her. She is eating fine and has no other symptoms. Any suggestions?

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Have you kept her quarantined away from your other birds?

If she's dealing with a virus, antibiotics won't help. I have an herbal mash I use for a immune system booster that might help her if it's a viral thing, from my website: http://pathfindersfarm.com/HerbalMash.html

What you'll need:
    Echinacea powder
    Astragalus powder
    Oregon Grape powder or Goldenseal
    Apple cider vinegar
    Probiotic powder (acidophilus in a variety of forms)

I like to get my herbs from Mountain Rose Herbs, and
    choose organic when I can.

This recipe is per bird, mix a batch according to how many birds you are trying to feed, and increase as needed.

Make a hot mash with about half a cup of corn, oats (or oatmeal), and/or barley or a mixture of the three. Add a given amount of grains to cold water and cook according
    to the type of grain used, as times will differ depending on the grain.

Cook the grains well, until they are soft and mushy. Let cool, (not cold), then stir in the herbs and other ingredients.

Use ½ Tsp of the herbs, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and 1 heaping tablespoon of Probiotic powder PER BIRD.

The mixture may become stiff after adding the herbs, add more warm water if you need to in order for the mash to be mushy but not too soupy.

Feed the mixture to your birds once per day for three days, then rest for one. Then three more, one off, as needed (this is called "pulsing" the herbs.)

You can still eat the eggs while using the herbs, but be aware they may give the eggs a slightly earthy taste.

This will boost your birds immune systems and help them get over any viral diseases they might be struggling with.

Nota Bene:
    If you wish, add in some hard boiled, mashed-in-the-shell eggs, it's great for them!
    Feed once per day for three days, then take a day off.
    Do not feed the mash every day.

3. Elohist1983

Sep 9, 2013
    She is still quarantined with 3 more chickens, but the others don't have any symptoms.

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    If it's a virus, you will have to just let it run its course (plus do the mash I suggested above.) Sometimes that can be as long as two weeks. Hope she is better soon!

5. Elohist1983

Sep 9, 2013
    Ok, thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by