Coughing or sneezing... Why is this happening?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sphynxii, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Sphynxii

Sphynxii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    One of my bantams has been either coughing or sneezing for quite a while now, I think its sneezing because sometimes liquady stuff appears to come out of her nose. She also gets pretty wheezy sometimes and makes a kind of crackling sound when she breathes. We have tried bird anti-biotics and they cleared the symptoms up for a short while and then she just went back to how she was... Any ideas on what could be wrong?

2. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    What antibiotics did you try? I'm guessing you have Mycoplasma and tried Duramycin?

3. Sphynxii

Aug 21, 2013
    We used oxymav B for birds

4. War Chicken

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, I see, it's basically the Australian version of Duramycin. Both are tetracyclines, which can work, but aren't that effective against Mycoplasma these days. Doxycycline or tiamulin are better alternatives. Most of the commercial operations use tiamulin.

5. Sphynxii

Aug 21, 2013
    Thankyou so much, would i find these at the vet or pet/produce store?

6. War Chicken

Oct 18, 2011
    In the US, doxycycline can be bought without a prescription and tiamulin is sold worldwide as Denagard (and other brand names) and Chevimulin-T for pigeons. Veterinarians would definitely be able to get you doxycycline but tiamulin is more of a livestock product so you might need to look at feed stores.

7. Sphynxii

Aug 21, 2013
    Okay thankyou very much :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by