Coughing pullet..

Painted Calls

Still the Mayor
Premium Feather Member
Aug 26, 2019
When it rains it pours...

Bantam cochin pullet that is coughing. She started coughing periodically (like trying to clear her airway) last week after I wormed them (Safe-guard paste). It seemed to lessen as time went on... Tonight when I went out to check on a broody, I heard her coughing and it sounded more wet. Watching her, she opened her mouth and coughed with a crackling sound and then seemed to gasp for a breath. For a few breaths after, there was the faintest crackles coming from her lungs. After that "spell" she was normal again.

I will try to get video tomorrow of her if she's doing it. This is the first time she opened her mouth like that and her breathing sounded that way.

I looked in her mouth and throat. Everything looked healthy and clear. No discharge from eyes/nostrils. She's otherwise her normal energetic self. Normal poop, appetite, water intake and laying. I will check her again tomorrow and try to get her coughing on film.

Any thoughts?

Here is an example of her coughing. Usually the "honks" are louder.

Here is a good example of what she sounds and looks like when coughing. She doesn't shake her head this violently though.

Trying to get video of her coughing is surprisingly hard. It's as if she knows what I'm doing and just isn't having it.

Should I give her some sort of antibiotic or will this work itself out? All of it started the day I de-wormed everyone. They are due to be de-wormed again, but I'm a little gun shy now.

Must have been dust or a little something stuck in her airway. She hasn't done it now for about a week. Never did develop any other symptoms. Just went away.

I relaize this is an old thread but we dealt with a similar scenario with our Cochin. He aspirated on some nutri-drench. For some reason he didn't swallow it and it went into his lungs. He had rales and made that awful sound for 2 days. Then it went away. So be careful when giving drops.

Back
Top Bottom