Coughing & treatment help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MsBentleyboy, Sep 1, 2008.

1. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    Well, here I go again. I just spent 2 weeks medicating my flock of 11 chickens/roosters b/c one of my chickens was coughing terribly. I gave the entire flock an antibiotic which was recommended by my vet. They were on plain water this weekend and I thought I had the problem cured. Now, 3 or 4 more (at least) are coughing...even after being treated for 2 weeks.

My question is... do I start the treatment all over again or should a wait another week (or longer)? The ones coughing now were not coughing before I treated them so I don't understand it. The one that was coughing originally isn't coughing anymore. This makes no sense.

The product I used was Duramycin-10 and the label says not to administer more than 14 days consecutively. I just wonder when to start back up again or should I try something else altogether?

2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    You could maybe start on a different product, but I have no idea which one! :/Read all warning labels to avoid overdosing your flock, and look for the cause of the cough before bombing them with the meds.

3. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    The only thing I could find on the coughing was Chronic Respiratory Disease which was also diagnosed by my local vet (I took a chicken to see him).

I also read that lack of Vit. A could cause this disease too so I am adding some Cod Liver Oil to their diet which was recommended (2% into their mash). I hope this helps since it's all natural.

Thanks for any additional advice anyone can give me.

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Ensure your coop has as little dust as possible and well ventilated. I would wait a week or so before putting them on something else unless you feel this is life or death. If you can, separate the ones coughing. If choosing to remedicate, I would use something like gallimycin, tylan, or erythromycin. I would also recommend putting them on a complete vitamin/mineral suppliment like avia charge 2000.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by