1. ZoomuKeeper

ZoomuKeeper Songster

Jul 25, 2018
    Near Live Oak Florida
    I have an 8 month old hen that seems to be coughing? Not sure she makes this strange noise a cross between a sneeze and a cough kind of squeaky? Not all the time but a lot right in a row then it subsides. Any one know what I might be dealing with? She is the only one doing this.......so far........IB? Mycoplasma? I sure hope not. Hard to treat Mycoplasma..............

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you notice if she makes the noise during/after eating/drinking?

If you can get a video of that, it may be helpful. Have you ever had a respiratory disease in your flock?

Symptoms of MG would be coughing, sneezing, mucous, facial swelling, bubbles or discharge in the eyes, etc. Likely symptoms would not come and go - they would be continuous, so I would first determine if there is an "activity" that she is doing that brings on the strange noise.
    Look inside her beak for any mucous, canker or yellow cheesy plaques and check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks - it should be empty.

3. ZoomuKeeper

ZoomuKeeper Songster

Jul 25, 2018
    Near Live Oak Florida
    no discharge of any kind. she looks normal except for the coughing first thing in the morning when she comes out of the chicken house. I found a video on here that had chickens coughing and she was exactly like them. None of my chickens have ever been sick but there is always a first time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: