Couid my chickens stop laying because they ate poinsettias?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gilgamesh, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    I have six hens, two each from three breeds. After Christmas the gift poinsettia went into the backyard and chickens got to it. Nothing happened except one breed (Americaunas) stopped laying. Of course, that was mid-winter, so they may start up again in spring. But if they don't, I'm thinking about getting rid of them. Any advice? Is my connection between the poinsettias and no Americauna eggs even reasonable?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I have no experience with this, but here's no reason it would effect one breed and not another. They're all the same species.

Do your birds range in your yard? Are you positive they're not just hiding their eggs? If they range, you might try confining them for a few days and see what happens.

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Thanks! They do range the whole yard. I'll do as you suggest. Weird that I'd stop seeing green eggs that very week. But I'm about to move the coop, so keeping them in the little run that's part of the coop sounds like a good idea.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  4. luckyzmomm

luckyzmomm New Egg

Apr 28, 2014
    Planted a Christmas poinsettia outside last week. A few days later I noticed that the leaves had been eaten off by my chickens and turkeys. Trying to find out what to do with the eggs that have been gathered since they ate the poinsettia leaves and how long this can or will stay in their system?
    Also I have a chicken that lays green eggs and have not gotten any eggs from her since 2 days after I discovered the leaves eaten.

Any suggestions on what to do with the eggs and how long this might stay in their system or when/if it is safe to begin using their eggs again?
    Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by