1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could a 9 month old chicken be molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Happy Chooks, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My buttercup hasn't laid an egg in over a week. I noticed over the past couple of days that she seems to be losing more feathers than normal. I picked her up this morning to inspect because her neck area looked bare. It is completely bare all around her neck, and she's losing some feathers under her wings as well. No sign of bugs on her, but her neck area feels dry. (not sure if that's from where the pin feathers come out) When I put her down and she fluffed off, a lot of down feathers came off her.

Is it possible she's molting? Isn't this a bad time of year for her to molt? I wasn't expecting it this early, so I don't have anything high in protein to give her. (no cat food, black sunflower seeds) I guess I could scramble an egg or two and feed it to her.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have some hens that went thru a mini-moult in the 7 to 9 month range. Not near as heavy as a full blown molt, but they did go through one.

3. CTChick

CTChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Shelton
    I was going to ask this same question! I have two chickens (cochins) that were shipped to me about a month ago. Don't chickens molt or partially molt after a traumatic experience (like being in a box for 2 days?). They are healthy and fine, active, but the area around their necks is yellow/dry and I notice more feathers (their color) in the coop. No sign of mites or pest ... but is the yellow neck thing normal during a molt?

Laura

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I guess it could be a mini molt. But it doesn't look mini. (but then I don't know what a full blown molt looks like either) The feathers are falling off of her big time. I just went out in the run and it looks like they had a pillow fight and my buttercup lost.

I hope she grows her feathers in quickly as the cold is coming.

5. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I have Bantam cochins about 26 hens.
    11 have been giving me eggs eggs every day but
    the others are losing feathers and no eggs for the
    past 2 weeks.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Often in the first year there is a mild molt, sometimes heavy. I have some molting right now that I hatched in April.

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Thank you. I hope it doesn't "spread" to the other chickens. I'm not getting many eggs as it is now.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is natures way of giving the hens a break. Many stop or slow down in late fall and winter. It gives their bodies time to rejuvenate and rest up for the big egg push in spring.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Many of my birds have went through mini molts during their first year.

10. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    My BO Demeter hatched 3/30/09 and I've noticed quite a few buff feathers around and have been wondering the same thing. Only 3 hens and no other buffs, so it has to be her. More than a tussle in the yard lying around. Mini-molt would explain it well... as well as the fact that production is down from 14 eggs last week to 9 this week. I'm new to this, so glad to see the ? asked. Thanks all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by