Could a bathtub work for a brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SillyChicken, Jan 18, 2010.

1. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I found out my chicks are being sent out Feb 10 (12 sal faverolle pullets and 2 roosters)... I'm not quite ready! (was expecting in April but honeslty can't wait! [​IMG]) Sooooo... I have a nice heated dog kennel in my garage. There's a raised, standard steel bathtub in there that's not hooked up yet [​IMG] Would the tub be too cold for the chicks? I'll use a heat lamp and use papers on the floor of the tub, and can cover with plywood and hrdwr cloth. Maybe even a sheet of cardboard taped down to the bottom so nothing could get under it.

Would the dog's barking be too stressful for the chicks?

Any thoughts or suggestions? My other options are a big cardboard box or a rabbit cage that I could keep in the garage or house.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. weirdmuse

weirdmuse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    lol! Shouldn't be a problem to use the tub. We use the tub in the guest room as a brooder for our earliest spring chicks. Be sure to close the drain pop up if it's installed and lining would be a good idea to aid in cleanup afterwards. I use hardware cloth over the top to keep the cat from getting too curious but have had no problems.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    yep- that what i used, i put a sheet down, then the litter, makes it a little easier to clean up- makes it easy to interact too-

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    You mention cardboard or paper on the bottom. Paper is too slippery. You should cover this with a couple of inches of pine shavings. For the first week or so you should cover the pine shavings with paper towels to keep the chicks from eating the shavings. They will know better after a week or so.

5. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    try a storage tote (sterlite, rubbermaid) the high sides cut down the draft, and they're cheap and medium size will be good for 14, i use a large tote for 25-30 and they stayed in for 3 weeks inside with no problem, i just sat the box in the bathroom so it was quite
    oh and pine shavings, go ahead and buy the large bag they are only about $5 in walmart

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  6. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

7. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I put a tub inside a bathtub...but I put a floor mat underneath it because the tub itself is cold.
    [​IMG]

8. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG] I raised 15 bantams in my tub last spring...Worked great! Until they learned they could hop out... Lucky I dont use it though!
    And the chicks that will be here in a few weeks will be getting placed in the tub also as my chick brooders are inhabited by a mean rooster (who I am desperately waiting to grow up so I can admire him in my freezer) and guinea pigs right now lol

9. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Very clever idea.... A tub inside a tub.... I would never think of that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by