could a chicken escape over this door (pics)?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sydney13, Jul 19, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    we built this door for the run and as you can see in the picture their is a large open stop on top. most of my breeds are bad fliers although the barred rock and easter egger would be ok fliers. so do you think they could fly right out of this door? they have already been able to fly over the fencing so we have to put avairy netting over it. and also do you think a hawk would be able to fly in?
    [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They may be able to get out, but something like a coon or preditor can certainly get in. I'd hardware cloth it off if you have pred problems and plan on keeping them inside.

3. bald k9

bald k9 Songster

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    My EE hen flutters [wings clipped] over her 6 foot pen, I see her out in the yard when i go out to let them out she has already been out and about!!!

4. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yes to both questions.

Love your door, by the way.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Most definitely. I would cover the top with Hardware cloth. I startled my littlest chicken yesterday and she flew straight up onto the roof out of freight. She seemed to like it up there so hopefully it will not become a habit. If they want to, they fly up pretty well.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  6. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i will probably just cover it with aviary netting to keep them in and hawks out. i know a raccoon could easily get right through it but i lock the hens in each night and they have a very secure coop

7. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I had the same size door and I had to get my hubby to build a frame for the top to add hardware screen. my 7 week old were flying right out. fortunately they are located in a in-barn coop so they were contaiend in the barn. Still I didn't want them flying and going all over the barn disturbing everything else. they are now nice and secure.

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Not only could your chickens get out, but any number of predators could get in.

9. Dorte

Dorte Songster

Apr 27, 2010
    Very pretty door. Did you make the animals yourself?

10. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:we didn't make them but our neighbor did and he had them on his house. then wanted us to take them because he was moving and his house was going to be a tear down so now we have them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by