Could a Hard Molt Cause Head Shaking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClareScifi, Oct 27, 2016.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Could a hard molt cause a 5-year-old rooster to shake his head a lot? I was wondering whether feathers growing in on his head might irritate him enough to cause him to shake his head a lot?[​IMG]

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    It's possible... he could also have mites or lice crawling in his ears or an ear infection.

When was the last time you treated your flock for internal and external parasites?

While unlikely, he could also have gape worm. If you swab down his throat, you could see little red strings. That can be treated with Valbazen liquid goat wormer, which you can get from your local feed store or order online.

Does he have any other unusual symptoms? Balance issues? Honking, wheezing, gasping? Sneezing?

MrsB

3. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    No, no other symptoms. I dusted him with diatomaceous earth in August. We had an outbreak of some sort of mites in May. I'm wondering whether the d.e. could have caused a respiratory infection. He's a mean boy. No way I could look down his throat, but I will ask the vet to do so tomorrow. That's what they get paid for; right? LOL. I did go in the coop late last night, wearing very thick gloves. When I held him around the chest wearing them, I thought I detected a bit of noise with his breathing, which I can't hear when squatting right next to him. The vibration I could feel through my gloves, I mean. Not bad or loud, not raspy or gurgling, but something? A bit of respiratory distress, I would guess.

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    But my touching him infuriated him, and he became enraged and jumped off the roosting box and went and hid in the run, sulking.

5. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I'm also wondering whether he could have a fungus in his mouth, or regular worms.

6. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    He's so mean and feisty it's impossible for me to check for these things...
    That's why I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow. I pity them...

7. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I find that examinations as the sun sets are a better time for them... Also, letting them hang upside down by their feet puts them in a trance (and makes checking feathers around the vent for signs of lice/mites/nits that much easier--bottoms up!!). :)

Good luck with the vet! Let us know what they find.

MrsB

8. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Not mad. Just scared. They are blind at night. If you hold your index finger crosswise in his bill, you can keep his mouth open to do whatever you need to do in there.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by