Could a racoon or possum...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Sarree, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Sarree

Sarree Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Akron Ohio
    Could a racoon or possum hurt my geese? What about a small red fox? They are very large geese (American buff)

Thanks

Sarree

2. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I wouldn't put it past any of them to try. Especially the fox.

3. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    all those critters are known to kill and eat chickens, ducks, geese etc.. I lost 3 to a coon not to long ago. All chickeneers should keep at least 1 or maybe 2 live traps around for just such critters. Good luck.[​IMG]

4. Sarree

May 18, 2008
    Akron Ohio
    but they are so much smaller than my geese how can they kill them? They don't hurt my cat that stays out all night.

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The cat, being nocturnal and a beast of prey as they are, is not generally on their list (although coyotes give them lots of problems) Birds, on the other hand, are fairly easy targets at night and way up on the top of the list of delicacies.

6. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    usually cats get enough food from you, and have heard you scold them for getting near them they are much smarter than we give them credit for, a stray cat however will attack chickens but i dont know about large geese. You have to remember that most predator attacks come in the wee hours of the night while the birds are sleeping.[​IMG]

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Your cat is armed with sharp teeth and claws, a little furry razor blade factory.

I think its unlikely that a possum could do much damage, they are too slow and preffer easier meals.

Coons and foxes can kill and eat geese.

8. Sarree

May 18, 2008
    Akron Ohio
    Thanks all. They will be kept in at night... I will sleep better knowing they are safe anyway.

Thanks again!!

Sarree

9. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I agree that racoons and fox could certainly kill geese along with a few other critters
    but even if your goose is able to fight it off, the injuries are something to be considered if they do have an encounter -
    I know it is easy to think about what will kill them, but dealing with things that can not finish them off is really difficult too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by