Could be Coccidiosis???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cheeperchick, Oct 26, 2013.

1. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    I've been asking and doing some research and there may be chance my Delaware roo might have cocci. I say because he's not very fast/walks slow and tends to be lying down almost all the time. He's 16 weeks and eats and drinks normally. Poo is mushy, almost watery and is a orange white runny color.

I ordered some corid 9.6% and won't be here til Monday. I just isolated him in a chicken tractor (peck n play from MurrayMcMurray)and is within sight of the others so I won't have problems re-introducing after treatment. When I put him down in the tractor, he took a few slow steps, stood still for 2 minutes then lied down again.

Also to consider---he has dry pox which is starting to clear up and was dusted on Monday for lice which I found on him. I also read lice could be an indicator of illness.

Could this be Coccidiosis? I'll try and upload a video of his behavior later today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It might be Coccidiosis. He's a little old for it, but chickens of all ages can get it. I'd start giving him Corid. I used to have a seven month old pullet that was slow and usually sleepy. I treated her for Coccidiosis, and she is now just as sprightly as my other birds.

Does he just not walk, or does he have trouble walking?

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Agree that it could be coccidiosis, although usually they also don't want to eat. It certainly won't hurt to rule it out although if this by chance is indeed a case of cocci Monday is very late to begin treating it and he may well not make it that long if that's what this is. I would get my hands on some Corid today if at all possible. Treating for it will at least rule it out and you can move on from there if he doesn't perk up.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post some poop pictures?

-Kathy

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you can't get the Corid until Monday, give him some buttermilk/powdered milk. The milk will coat his intestines, slowing down the progress of the disease.

6. cheeperchick

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    He walks but its a slow walk and doesnt go far. I also noticed he steps on his own toes when standing and walking sometimes. He's been like that for a couple of weeks...it just hit me that they're may be something wrong. :\

So do I give buttermilk to drink?

7. cheeperchick

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    here's a pic of his poop. I've seen others that he's done that has some orange color mixed in it.

[​IMG]

8. cheeperchick

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    Here's some more pics of poop I found within the past couple of hours. Looks more solid with a white membrane around it. I'm confused...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm not saying it's not coccidiosis, but that doesn't look like coccidiosis poop to me.

-Kathy

10. cheeperchick

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    It's weird, as soon as I isolated him, his poo is normal. There's another rir/production red roo(the dominant one) in the run/coop that 2weeks older than my Delaware. Could that stress him out? He's still lying on the ground.....hmmm ill upload a vid as soon as I can...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by