Could both legs be broke?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coop de Grille, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have a 12 week old EE cockerel that was fine yesterday and I'm pretty sure was ok when I opened up the coop this AM. I just noticed that he is laying down, and scooting around. He can't get up on his legs. I picked him up and don't see any injuries.

Last night was their first night up on a roost, which is about 4 ft tall. I have integrated all my babies in the last two weeks, but they have not gone up on the roosts. My first thought was that maybe he fell off the roost but last night I picked them up and put them up there one by one. When I opened up the coop this AM they were all in the same place as where I put them. I took them all down because they looked like they didn't know what to do. So I don't think he fell. What could be wrong with him?

This is him today:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. daisy06

daisy06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Hmm... I had a pullet with the same situation. He may have a broke leg. I guess the best thing to do would separate him. Could you post pictures of his legs?

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Does he have any other symptoms???

4. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Here is a pic of his legs. He can get around and is eating.

[​IMG]

I took a short video of him trying to walk, but it's taking forever to upload to photobucket. I will post it when it's finished.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Could be injury, weakness from parasites...try worming or dusting, vitamin issues ...give extra vitamins....or possible Mareks diease. Research these and see if any of the info helps.

6. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I don't think it's Marek's disease. I looked it up and his legs don't look like those when sitting. Today he seems a little better. He is favoring his right leg but is getting around better. Last night I put him on a milk crate instead of up on the roost and he kept looking up and flapping his wings. I put him up there and he stayed in the same spot all night. He waited for me to take him down this AM.

Can I worm just him or do I need to do the entire flock? I haven't seen any signs of worms in their stools, but I guess it can't hurt as a preventative.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You don't have to see worms in poo for them to have them....that's why vets do fecals with a microscope .....lol
    I'd worm everyone just to be safe, and that you are just not reinfecting those treated.

8. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Yesterday when I was hosing down in the pen I saw poop with two long, thin worms in it. I gave them Wazine yesterday in their water, hopefully that will help him.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2!

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Wazine only gets roundworms.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by