Could Budgies and Parrotlets hybridize?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Reformed, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Reformed

Reformed Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    This is completely hypothetical I was just wondering if it could happen.

2. Reformed

Mar 30, 2013

3. Rosa moschata

Rosa moschata Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Parrotlets (genera Forpus, Nannopsittica and Touit) are more closely related to Amazon parrots and Macaws than they are to Budgies. Considering that, I'd put money on the answer being "no."

4. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Simple answer is no they are not the same species of bird.

5. Rosa moschata

Rosa moschata Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Well...not being the same species isn't what keeps them from hybridizing. In fact, two different species breeding together is one definition of hybridizing. The real answer is that they are too distantly related for interbreeding. Two different but more closely related species can hybridize, such as is the case with hybrid macaws, hybrid cockatoos, hybrid conures, hybrid lovebirds, etc. And there are even hybrids between macaws and conures, because the two groups are closely-related. But just because Parrotlets and Budgerigars are both small parrots doesn't mean they are as closely related as you'd think.

:)

6. Reformed

Mar 30, 2013
    Huh cool, Thank you for clarifying that. You should teach zoology, that is if you don't teach it already [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by