Could chickens eat baby cereal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stone_family3, Dec 14, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    The kind in boxes? I always see boxes of it on CL for free. Was thinking it would be a faster "hot" breakfast for them, just add warm water.

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't see why not. I never thought of that before and it IS oatmeal so...... I'd say go for it! I'm going to now [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Be aware that many of the baby cereals on the market today have very high levels of iron.

4. kenhansen

kenhansen New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    Chickens will eat just about anything. Like the previous post about iron content, beware of what you give them. In a pinch my chickens love cat food with their scratch. My preference is scratch, sweet feed and oyster shells. I have "free range" and a hen house for the egg layers. The best way for me to tell if they like their feed is when there isn't any left in the morning when I feed them again. I did learn the chicks don't eat the oyster shells (even finely crushed) until they were older. I guess they didn't eat it because they were too young to lay and didn't need it. Now they love it! Good for their gizzards anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by