Could first couple of eggs from same chicken be different sizes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spartanchick, Aug 25, 2013.

1. spartanchick

spartanchick Out Of The Brooder

Can the first egg from the same pullet be different sizes and slightly different colors? I have 4 pullets and pretty sure only 1 is laying right now, since she is the only one I have seen in the nesting box and I check often! We have had 3 eggs and the 2nd one was smaller than the 1st and a little darker. The 3rd is bigger than the 2nd and a slighter different brown tinge to it but they all have white speckles.

2. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    yes, definitely. their egg size and color can change with every egg they lay. the color won't change from white to brown to blue. But a hen that lays brown can go from dark brown to light brown and speckled. I had one last week that was covered in chunks of white calcium that looked like cement.

3. spartanchick

Thank you for the response, I wasn't sure if another chicken was sneaking in and laying when I wasn't looking! The chunks of calcium couldn't of have felt too good coming out of your chicken!

4. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I weigh my eggs every day. They range from about 1.7 oz to a whopping 2.7 oz. the average large grocery store egg is between 2.3 & 2.4 oz's.

5. spartanchick

Wow! That's a really good size. Mine are small right now but I read that they will get bigger. They taste so good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by