Could Guineas & Ducks share a pen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sunny Side Up, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I have a row of pens for my chickens, and the 3 guinea hens (sort of) use the last pen by the pole barn. It's about 8 feet square with a shelter made from 2 pallets for side walls, the pole barn wall for a 3rd wall, a slanted plywood roof, and open at the front. The guineas used to roost in that shelter at night, but now they've switched to roosting in the pole barn. So now they really only use that pen to pass through on their way into the barn, hopping up on the roof of the shelter to get into their stall. And they usually eat their daily ration of feed from the feeder there. Otherwise, they either hop the fence in the morning, or wait to be let out, and free-range all over the yard all day long.

I have five 3-week old Khaki Campbell ducklings, being kept in a tractor until they're mostly grown. I would also like to let them free-range most of the day like the guineas do (the chickens are confined until about 2 or 3 in the afternoon, so they'll lay in their coop).

Could I make the ducks' nighttime quarters the shelter in the guinea pen? And if so, should I make a gate for the front of the shelter to keep them in? I'm figuring they could eat the same feed (layer pellets) but would it bother the guineas to drink from the same water pan the ducks will use and make mucky? I would keep a swimming pool for the ducks to bathe in OUTSIDE of this pen, so it wouldn't be too swampy in there.

The guineas conspire to make communal nests in assorted places in the yard, and the chickens are accustomed to laying in their nest boxes. I've heard that ducks lay their eggs at night, is that right? So will they get accustomed to laying in that shelter? Will I get accustomed to finding 4 tasty duck eggs there each morning when I go to let them out?

Thank you for your advice on this matter.

2. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    maybe not too many duck eggs this time of year though. My understanding of guineas is that they will roost where they want to but once taught will stick around.

3. eggcochin_freak5

eggcochin_freak5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Georgia
    heck my guineas stay in the lot with my cochins....they get along good.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by